Mailbag: Cutting Regions

Hey everyone!

Let’s check out the mail bag.

“Is there a way of quickly cutting up a region by grid lines – for instance to create a stutter effect? In Logic, there is a simple command that lets you divide an audio region into 16ths or whatever your grid is set to with one click – the only way I know in Pro Tools is to manually go in and make every edit one step at a time. Know a way around this?”

As far as I know there is no way to do this automatically… however… I would suggest this quick workflow.

1. Set your grid and nudge to the value you want to chop at (in your example 16th notes)

2. Put your edit cursor where you want to start cutting and repeatedly hammer “>” followed by “b” (nudge and separate)

Let’s hear from the community… how would you tackle this problem?

UPDATE:

Well… after hearing from the community… apparently you CAN do this! Whooooops…

Edit|Separate Region|Grid

Thanks for the corrections everyone!  That was a test! 😉

10 Responses to “Mailbag: Cutting Regions”

1. @ndy says:

You can select the region or a selection of region you want to cut up and go to Edit/ Separate Region/ On grid and it works with one click. I think that's new in version 8, but I'm not positive.

2. Jon says:

I was going to say what @ndy said.
    Make a selection >Edit Menu>Separate Region>Grid
    You can also do this to transients.

3. Chris says:

Um, I thought you guys were supposed to be experts…Right there in the edit menu.

4. iZLER says:

thanks for the answers guys awesome! Another question on the same tip now …. to create the stutter effect in a cut up passage, I need to trim back the end of all of the newly separated regions by a little bit to create gaps in the audio. Is there a way of doing this to all of them simultaneously? Thanks for the help.

5. Major says:

Wow… look at that… right in the Edit menu… I just demoted myself to PT-DUD!

sorry 'bout that… don't do music anymore so that one must have slipped by!

Thanks for pointing it out!

6. Kyle says:

iZLER, select your newly separated audio with the Grabber tool in Object mode. You should now have all the individual regions highlighted. Use Command+minus key (from keypad) to trim all regions back by the nudge value.

7. iZLER says:

Thanks Kyle

8. Julienne says:

I tried all this and I was limited to 10mSec for region length, which doesnt leave me many options. Also, highlighting all and command+Minus only trimmed the last region. I tried shift+command+minus but that didnt work either. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

9. Julienne says:

correction I can do 1-99mSec cuts, that occur pre-gridline, its not actually cutting the file into 10msec pieces.

10. Major says:

@Julienne
    The region separation is by grid lines, so that value can be changed to change the length of your separation. In order to shorten all at the same time by the *nudge* value you have to use the *object* tool (a variant of the grabber) if they are selected properly each region will have a yellow line around it. Hope that helps!

-Major