This Just In: “control-shift-option-3” Saves Baby From Burning Building

⌃⇧⌥3“control-shift-option-3” saved my life when I was a child growing up in a burning building. Now I am paying it back by bringing it to the masses. Make a selection on the time-line and hit “control-shift-option-3” (A riff on “shift-option-3”:Consolidate selection) and you will get a sparkling new region of 1k sine wave at -20db.

19 Responses to “This Just In: “control-shift-option-3” Saves Baby From Burning Building”

1. LB says:

Wow, very informative tip!

2. Olivier says:

Hi,

What would be the shortcut for -18 dBFS, if any ?
    Thanks for the tip !

Cheers,

Olivier

3. Major says:

Hey Olivier,

As far as I know there isn’t one for -18dbFS, I tried changing my “Calibration Reference Level” in the preferences window to -18 but it still wrote -20. I think you’re stuck with the audiosuite…

Thanks for the comment and come back soon!

4. Shawn says:

I can’t see the keyboard character icons– in Firefox or in Internet Explorer! I’m on a PC.

5. Major says:

Oh… thanks Shawn, did not know that PC’s can’t display them… I will see if I can fix this… in the mean time, I have included typed out key commands in this post and the ones above… thank you so much for the heads up!

6. Chris says:

wow, this just made my day.

7. Shawn says:

Can anyone confirm that this trick works on PC? I can’t get it to work and I’m highly desirous of it.

8. Major says:

I can neither confirm nor deny… don’t have a PC with Pro Tools on it… I will look into it, though, and see if I can come up with an answer for you.

9. Mike says:

What if you saved the default plug in setting for the audio suite signal generator to your required levels?

10. Major says:

@Mike
    Nope… still just 1k @ -20dbfs
    sorry!

11. WTF I thought I was the only PT bro that knew that quick key… Whenever I show someone up in Pro Tools I bust out that guy for the finale… Or my acronym for all the steps for putting PT Online… Apple Deuce (2) and Apple Juice (J)…

12. Rob says:

This could be a stupid question, but what exactly is the point of this feature? I know the API 1608, as well as other consoles, have a sine oscillator module, so does that serve the same purpose as this feature?

13. David says:

@ Rob:

This is so that you can create a quick -20 dbfs 1khz tone (as long in length as you'd like) that can be utilized for V.O. work, or ADR; for whatever you can find a use for.

The main reason this is good is because it's a one step process as opposed to the several steps it would take to create the tone with a signal generator.

@ Major:

If you gave this a better title, than people wouldn't have to know the shortcut key to find the website. I found it by typing in the shortcut and this popped up. You should name it "ADR Beeps Shortcut" something that someone would search for; that would make it most effective at letting people know about it.

14. Major says:

@David
    yeah… It was my first post… I was more into trying to be witty than informative… lesson learned!

15. Djvqsiea says:

Sample letter of recommendation for a caregiver., Labeled eye diagram, 653560, Raping games, 499508, Colleek luckie funeral, >:-DDD, Pus in blister, =DD, Death before dishonor chinese, =((, How to get lucario in pokemon emerald version, gfu, Watch movies for free on blackberry, 7180, Examples of nursing portfolios, >:-PP, Anita marks pictures, 8), Sabrina konnick, >:-PPP, Opening prayers for meetings, 8O, Spare ribs oven, enn, Continent cut outs, pfj, Free runescape bots for woodcutting, xul, Miranda cosgrove fake nude pictures, 5135,

16. Osheen says:

Another tip to the rescue. Thx brother

17. Ruy says:

It seems like we lost this one on the last PT10 update…

18. Major says:

What?!?! in 10.3.8? I have it in 10.3.7…. and it works in 11…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. From the archives… | Pro Tools Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts || Pro Tools Dudes - [...] - Print tone fast! [...]